Monday, December 7, 2015

Hwang Jeongsoo / Chapter 5 Final draft / 1pm

Changeable or Unchangeable?

 

When I asked him to tell me the life in army, he said, "What's wrong with you?" with a puzzled look. To be honest, I don't want to hear about the army thing. More accurately, I haven't been interested in army even though he works in the military. I haven't tried understanding his scar caused by the soccer game in army. It is only the soccer game in army that gives him a scar. Why doesn't he change for ten years?

When I saw him first, he was about to decide to be a ROTC. After he spent two years as a ROTC, he was commissioned second lieutenant in 2004. He served in the military for 6 years. After he was discharged from a captain, he became a civilian worker in the military through the test in 2011. As I looked back upon the time when he was in army whether he was a corps leader or is a civilian worker, he has been always diligent and positive.

 In the beginning of the interview, I asked him how many things have been changed in the soldiers' life. "Too many." First, the accommodations of soldiers significantly improved. He said that there were 1 or 2 story buildings where they were so old that soldiers felt very hot in summer and cold in winter ten years ago. There was a sort of bed where about ten soldiers sleep together, which means each individual didn't have his own bed. "But now, every soldier has his own bed." The accommodation building has been improved. In addition, in the past, soldiers weren't supposed to bring their cell phones and they would be punished if they did. Now, they can bring cell phones, hand them in the military, and get them back on leave. To this generation, a cell phone is a big deal so they are so delighted to this change.

 "How about the attitude of the soldiers? I heard that there are many problems caused by some soldiers." He seemed that he had lots of things to talk. As he always said, he noted that the younger are absorbed in individualism, which causes them not to adapt the culture in the military. Although not all soldiers are in relaxation of official discipline, the problem is truly the issue these days. He is not the person who exaggerates a vertical relationship but he thinks it is needed in the military because it is in military where they are. He concerns the better the condition of the life in the army, the more problems occur. When I was told that these days, soldiers can surf the internet, sing in the singing room, play games, and exercise in the gym after daily tasks, I said, "Is that true? Is that a military?" I was a little bit shocked because my notion about the army stays in the past. I am not sure if it is better or not but I am sure that Korean army has changed a lot for ten years. 

 I hope to see Korean young men serving the military feel confident of what they are doing in better environments including civilian workers. I want him to act as if it's the first year in the army. Though many things change, something should be the same as it is. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment