Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Dohoon Hong/Chapter 4 Final Draft/ Tuesday 1 p.m.

Break at the Lake

On August, before summer break ended, my family decided to go to see Lake Louise. When we arrived there, the word that immediately popped out of my mind was "magnificent." The vast emerald lake that shines brightly by the sunlight is surrounded by mountains with lush green coniferous trees. The water is perfectly still and makes no movement at all unless some kids try to skip stones on it. If you touch the water, in a second, your hand turns freezing cold, and you immediately try to look for a towel to wipe off the freezing cold water. Beyond the lake lie mountains covered with clean white snow, and they all together create an image of winter as well as summer. It not only unfolds a splendid view, but the fresh air that you breathe in while you watch the majestic scenery, carries away all the stress that came along with you. Birds chirp as if they are trying to catch the tourist's attention and the sound just makes the place more peaceful. You can hear people say, "Look how bright the lake shines!" It makes you want to jump right in and relax looking at the endless blue sky.

After expressing our astonishments we moved on to ride a gondola to get an even better view of the lake. During our ride to the top of the mountain facing Lake Louise, we could see so many trees below us and the white snow shined so bright that we could hardly stare at it. When we were about half way to the summit, we could see Lake Louise only a size of my palm. What seemed so magnificent from up close, now seemed so delicate and like an expensive painting. When we reached the top of the mountain, I could cover the lake with my finger, and now it looked like a swimming pool. However, even from far distance, we could see the lake still shining brightly.

             Gazing at this fantastic view, I could feel all the stress accumulated within me being relieved. At the time, it has not been long since my family started to live in Canada, so I had hard time adapting to the foreign country. English was a language that I have never learned before, so I could barely communicate with my foreign friends. Moreover, even though time went by, I did not feel my English get any better. Furthermore, some of my behavior which was adapted to the Korean culture, made a grin on my friend's faces. Whenever I double dipped my French fries in the ketchup that my friends and I shared, they would scold me of my behavior. Then, I would get depressed and become careful that I would not make any mistakes again. All these kinds of experiences made me stressful, and I wanted to have a time to cool myself down. Lake Louise was the perfect place to heal myself. The emerald lake was washing away my stress, and the beautiful sound of birds chirping sounded to me as if they were trying to encourage me. I could never forget the astonishing sight that unfolded in front of me, and how it relieved all the stress I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment