Monday, November 2, 2015

Yeo Eun Ki/ Chapter 4/ Tuesday 1pm

It's a porch. A back porch. Just mere two concrete steps leading up to the cream colored door with a silver D printed at the center top.
 
After angry fights with friends I would slam the back door shut, slide down the stair and sulk. After a particularly harsh scolding from my parents, I would shut the back door meekly behind me and sitting on the back steps,  I would dissolve into tears, my bare feet cold against the cold and unforgiving concrete. If it was summer, its hard, rough surface would leave imprints on my legs as my friends and I crowded around, slurping down popsicles. I also read countless books sitting down on that porch. On Saturdays or during the long summer vacations, I would settle myself on the edge of the concrete steps as comfortably as I could and imagine myself being carried away to far off places I didn't know about.
  I felt safe on that porch, knowing I could enter the comfort of your home with only one leap. I could catch autumn leaves, throw snowballs, daydream about cute boys, and still be in time for dinner. It was the door offering me access to a world away from grades and school, and I went up and down those steps nearly every day. And even today, no other place has more meaning to my childhood than that back porch.

2 comments:

  1. A porch! It is a unique place I didn't think of. I could imagine how the porch looked like and how you felt about it by reading your draft. It is described clearly. You used two of the five senses and I absolutely agree that the porch cannot be described by its taste haha but maybe including the sound you could hear in the porch would make it more clear description. I guess you wrote about this place because there are many memories and feeling of relaxness in that place. It was fun to read your essay. See you in class^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this writing. I even envied her writing skill. My favorite part was "Just mere two concrete steps leading up to the cream colored door with a silver D printed at the center top." It is something that I really want to learn. I think it would be greater if the writer put more stories. It seemed like a little bit short. I hope that I could read more story :)

    ReplyDelete