Saturday, November 28, 2015

Ha-eun Jeong/First Draft of Chapter 5/Tuesday 1 p.m.

             These days, more and more people learn foreign languages, not only English or Chinese, but also other languages that are used by relatively fewer people than the two. I am one of them as well; I have started learning French last year and decided to choose French as my second major. When I first started taking classes from French major last year, one of the most difficult parts I faced was conversation. Since French was not as common as English, Chinese, Japanese, or Spanish here, I did not really have friends whose native language was French.

After some struggles though, I was finally able to get some help from a language exchange application, and Bastien is one of those I met there. He is a French native who was born and raised in Paris. He has a great passion for travelling and is deeply interested in Asian culture. He is also interested in photography, so he has made several series of short documentaries when he travelled Asia. He has been learning Korean by himself along with his studies for master's degree in finance.

The first question I asked was, "How did you end up learning Korean, while there are many other languages that are much more useful?" Then he answered, with a little bit of French accent, "Well, first I tried learning Japanese, but I gave up because of Chinese characters. And I did enjoy travelling Southeast Asia but the language didn't really interest me. Then when I visited Korea, I fell in love with everything there―food, people, ambience…so I just chose to try Korean. It's obviously easier than having to memorize those Chinese characters." He frowned when he said "memorize those Chinese characters."

I asked him why he loves Asian cultures so much, and he said that he could not explain exactly why. "But, I guess, because you can experience things you can't in your own country? I see many Koreans who admire European cultures, but as a European I don't see anything impressive. But, well, when I first saw a golden temple during my travel to Southeast Asia, it was simply amazing. That chill I felt, it was something I could never forget, I'd say."

He added that since the first trip to Southeast Asia, he was "addicted" to travelling because he wanted to explore more on other cultures that are different, "exotic" he said, to his culture. He chuckled and said, "I'm getting wanderlust every time I talk about this kind of stuff." He shrugged.

When I asked him if he thinks there is a correlation between learning a language and travelling, he answered, "Bien sûr. Definitely." He continued, "Travelling around Asia was actually a turning point in my life in some ways I think. That's why I went to Singapore as an exchange student." He explained that he decided to go study in Singapore because he felt the need to improve his English while experiencing another culture there at the same time. His English was already very good, but he said that he wanted to experience living in an English-speaking country with non-western culture, and so that was why he chose Singapore.

"Me learning Korean is also because I travelled around and found Korea attractive. You already know that. When you travel new places and experience different cultures, it is likely that you will find one or some particular cultures you get really attracted to. And that's how you start learning a new language," he added. I asked him if he ever felt that French people tend to be like that more than any other countries, he chuckled again. "Maybe, or maybe not. Well, it could be, but I don't know." Then he shrugged again, smiling.

3 comments:

  1. 1. I liked how the writer used quotations to emphasize. For example: "He added that since the first trip to Southeast Asia, he was "addicted" to travelling because he wanted to explore more on other cultures that are different, "exotic" he said, to his culture.
    2. Every part was clear except for the thesis statement.
    3. 1)These days, more and more people learn foreign languages, not only English or Chinese, but also other languages that are used by relatively fewer people than the two. 2) The first question I asked was, "How did you end up learning Korean, while there are many other languages that are much more useful?"
    4. "addicted"
    5. I think there are too many quotations because each paragraph is mainly covered with quotations.
    6. I think the writer could improve by stating the thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Dohoon.
    1. I liked how the writer used quotations to emphasize. For example: "He added that since the first trip to Southeast Asia, he was "addicted" to travelling because he wanted to explore more on other cultures that are different, "exotic" he said, to his culture.
    2. Every part was clear except for the thesis statement.
    3. 1)These days, more and more people learn foreign languages, not only English or Chinese, but also other languages that are used by relatively fewer people than the two. 2) The first question I asked was, "How did you end up learning Korean, while there are many other languages that are much more useful?"
    4. "addicted"
    5. I think there are too many quotations because each paragraph is mainly covered with quotations.
    6. I think the writer could improve by stating the thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writer's Plan for Revising
    1. I first thought conducting the interview was easy, but when I started writing, I realized that I had not taken enough notes while conducting the interview. Fortunately, I had recorded the interview so I was able to catch some details I could not have from the first place, but if I had a chance to do the interview over, I would definitely take notes more thoroughly.
    2. Since I used direct quotation marks quite often, I think I got more vivid images about the interview when I read them aloud.
    3. I have realized that my thoughts are vague in the first draft because I just wrote my interviewee's answers to my questions without any of my ideas responding to them. Thus, I have chosen to briefly explain how I felt when I heard my interviewee's answers, whether I agreed or disagreed to them. I also have felt the need to show my main idea (thesis statement) more clearly in my introduction and conclusion.

    ReplyDelete