Friday, September 18, 2015

Bo-won Kim/week3 assignment/tuesday 1pm

Smallest but the most meaningful party

 

 

"The class is over. You can leave now. Have a good weekend!" A tall man with mustache said on the plate. In front of him were over 60 students, all getting ready to go home. It was already dark outside and hundreds of students were coming out from a building. Watching them from the 11th floor, I locked my books in the locker. I took my cell phone which I had handed in before the class starts. 

"Buzz, buzz" the phone rang as soon as I turned it on. A smile spread over my face faintly. There were loads of text messages piled up in my phone. It is unusual for a twenty-year-old girl studying for the second sooneung after she failed last year. However, it wasn't just an ordinary day for me. It was my birthday. Even though I had no time for a birthday party and no time to have a nice dinner, it meant something to me.

I took the elevator with few students left at 11th floor. We were all thinking the same thing. "It's only two weeks left!" I was both excited in way that it's finally going to be over and scared that there is a possibility I'm going to ruin it again. Reading the texts and replying them one by one, I reached the first floor.

"Surprise!" when I went out the door loud voices pierced my ears. They were from girls hiding behind the door. In the blink of an eye, a cheese cake with twenty candles brightly lit appeared before me. As I blew them one by one, tears covered my eyes. I wiped my eyes very quickly so that I wouldn't get embarrassed. "Happy birthday, Bo-won!" It was my friends that prepared the surprise party. In front of me, there were four of my friends all wearing birthday hats. "You guys look silly." I struggled so as not to cry.

We went to the café nearby and had a nice cheese cake. "This is one of my favorite." I said with a smile on my face. "Yes, we knew that!" One of my friends said to me as she handed me a coffee and just like that we talked and talked. Since sooneung was close at hand, I could neither meet any of my friends nor have a chat over the phone like usual. I was a typical girl who wanted to hang out with friends overnight but I couldn't. Those made me feel blue and sometimes made me want to give up everything. But that little surprise party cheered me up again and I could regain my energy back.   

Some might say that it's too little to be called as a party, but to me it was the party I'll never forget in my life. That surprise party is what made me stand up again and fight back my fear of sooneung. Whenever I hang out with my friends, those wonderful memories come up out of the blue and I always thank my friends for that and one day, I'm going to be the one who can be a supporter for people just like my friends had been one to me. So I always have this in mind, which is "Now, it is my time to cheer up someone and make them feel energetic."

 

2 comments:

  1. 201300729 Eunwoo Kim

    It is a beautiful story. Her essay is very descriptive and I can feel that she tried her to write it down in detail. I could imagine the atmosphere and environment she had at that time. I felt like I was walking right next to her and watching the same scene. She used lots of conversation and I think that also helped her essay to be more real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “The class is over. You can leave now. Have a good weekend!” A tall man with mustache said on the plate. In front of him were over 60 students, all getting ready to go home. It was already dark outside and hundreds of students were coming out from a building. They were like ant troops getting out of their nests to find food. Watching them from the 11th floor, I locked my books in the locker. Usually, this was what I had done at the end of a long day.
    I took my cell phone that I had handed in before the class starts. “Buzz, buzz” the phone rang as soon as I turned it on. A smile spread over my face faintly. There were loads of text messages piled up in my phone. This was unusual for a twenty-year-old girl studying for the second sooneung after she failed last year. However, it wasn’t just an ordinary day for me. It was my birthday. Even though I had no time for a birthday party and no time to have a nice dinner at that time, it meant something to me.
    I took the elevator with few students left at 11th floor. We were all thinking the same thing and I could tell just by looking at them. “Sooneung is only two weeks left!” I was both excited in a way that it’s finally going to be over and scared that there is a possibility I’m going to ruin it again. Shaking my head to get rid of horrible thoughts, I read texts one by one. When I finished replying half of the text, the elevator had already reached the first floor.
    “Surprise!” when I went out the door, loud voices pierced my ears. They were from girls hiding behind the door. In the blink of an eye, a cheese cake with twenty candles brightly lit appeared before me. “Happy birthday, Bo-won!” It was my friends that prepared the surprise party. As I blew candles on a cake one by one, tears covered my eyes. I wiped my eyes very quickly so that I wouldn’t get embarrassed. Finally, I could raise my head. In front of me, there were four of my friends all wearing birthday hats. “You guys look silly.” I struggled so as not to cry.
    We went to the café nearby and had a nice cheese cake. “This is one of my favorite.” I said with a smile on my face. “Yes, we knew that!” One of my friends said to me as she handed me a coffee. Just like that we talked and talked. It was like going back to high-school students wearing uniform, chatting over silly things. Since sooneung was close at hand, I could neither meet any of my friends nor have a chat over the phone like usual. But I was a typical girl who wanted to hang out with friends overnight. This made me feel blue and sometimes made me want to give up everything. However that little surprise party cheered me up again and I could regain my energy back. “I will never forget this birthday.” I said to myself as I fell asleep. That night, I had a good night sleep that I would never have had without that little party.
    Some might say that it’s too little to be called as a party, but to me it was the party I’ll never forget in my life. That surprise party is what made me stand up again and fight back my fear of sooneung. Whenever I hang out with my friends, those wonderful memories come up and I always thank my friends for that. One day, I hope I’ll be the one who can be a supporter for people just like my friends had been one for me. So I always have this in mind, which is “Now, it is my time to cheer up someone and make them feel energetic.”

    ReplyDelete