Friday, September 18, 2015

dan kim/week2 assignment/tuesday 1pm

My part time job experience

230000KRW. That was my last savings I had in last winter. I definitely had to find a way to earn some cash. I have to pay my tuition, food, money for trip with my friends...etc. And also, Because of my unstoppable spending habits (gaming product, guitar maintenance, movie…), I was really in the need of those money. You know the youngster have a lot of purchasing need, right?

 So I just turned on my laptop, then got to the recruiting site and started to rummage all pages thoroughly. Actually, as the vacation started, even finding a job was a hard. There were so many people who were like me and they were as desperate as I am. But I didn't forgive it. I need all those King Saejong in my pocket to indulge myself into my once in a life vacation. So I just kept waiting for a good spot.

And another reason why I took so much time to find the job is that most of the employer didn't want to pay more than a 5580KRW as hourly wage. As a matter of fact, the labor law says "the minimal wage you should pay is 5580KRW." But I thought that is such a nonsense. As I saw a lot of news saying like "Korean working hour is 1st among the OECD but still their wage is too small to enjoy their life." And I was like "yeah we should get paid more! Rich guys are taking too much and it is completely doesn't make sense to carry the family with such a dime." So I thought that I should get paid at least 8000KRW for my working hour. "There is no compromise. it should be more than that amount. My labor power definitely has more value than 5 thousand." I was so determined.

About 1weeks later I found somewhat decent-looking job. It was a telemarketer. Technically it was an admission center officer in hotel institute. But the reason why I called it a telemarketer is what I had to do was actually seducing students to join our school by the wire. As it was winter, there were bunch of high school graduates. And the target I had designated was those students who have failed the SAT and are confused about what they had to do. The manager in the office said "if you success to catch students, 50Thousand KRW per capita as incentives. So my lads, I hope you guys do your best!"

 First thing I learned was about the institutes. Why it stands for, why students should enter it, advantage, facility…etc. It was hard to remember all things. And they told me that when I made a call I have to say that I am an instructor in this college and expert in college application and have been working lot of years in this field. So I had to goes like "you'd better come to us. Cuz it's the best hotel school in the nation. And I'm sure of it.". I really didn't like to deceive someone and still do.

It was really tough job. I had to make about more than 150 calls a day, all along the 7 hours. I even remember the first line I used to say "hi! I'm a teacher from Seoul hotel institute. You are ~~ right?" When the time I almost finished my shift were close, my eardrum felt like tearing off and my throats were all dry and stiff. It was so painful and because of the stupid Korean labor law I had to work at least 30 days if I want to get paid more than minimal.

 In first, I was planning to do part time job throughout entire vacations (of course, except for holiday). But as soon as I filled the 30 days, I quitted right away. It was such a hell of endless phone call. After that, I thought "It is true what my father used to said. 'son, there is reason when someone pay you a lot. So keep that in mind' ".

No comments:

Post a Comment