Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Youjung Kim/Assignment 2/Tues 1p.m.

201400651 김유정 Youjung Kim

9/9/2015

 

My attitudes/experiences with writing

 

I can safely say that I like writing, such as writing my journal or something personal, just to remember and reflect better in the future. Since high school, I have kept writing diaries, so I used to think that I like writing in general. However, after I got into the university and started experiencing academic writing in class, I realized that I do not enjoy writing, especially when I have to be judged by the outcome. I felt that my writing was not good enough, and what I write is not important enough.

I have taken an English writing class here in HUFS when I was a freshman. It was a basic writing course, so it did not give me that much pressure on me. I have also taken a few courses where I had to write an in-class or out-of-class essay for midterm or final term. These are all the experience I have with English writing. But I wanted to better improve my writing skill to the point where I can write without being afraid to be judged, so I decided to take this course.

I am trying to enjoy English writing, and my goal in writing is to be confident in writing essays. I am looking forward to participate in this course. Hope you to too.

 

Freewriting in class

 

I would say I'm rather a good writer in Korea, but when it comes to English writing, I am not sure. I can communicate through writing, I know vocabulary, grammar and others, basic things like that, but I have always wanted to get better than that. I want to stop using only basic, easy expression and words, and write something average English-speaking college students might write.

Sometimes, it's hard to gather up ideas for writing. Even when I have some kind of ideas, I feel like my ideas are not interesting enough, or worth wrting about. I want to write well-organized, convincing sentences, because I think that my English writing is good enough for basic communication and expression, but it hasn't gotten to the point where I can write thought-provoking, meaningful essays or even short stories.

I do not like writing, because I know I'm not good at it, but I want to get better.

2 comments:

  1. you look fine in this article though... . I think you need more confidence. In my case, idon't even know the basic so that I always get weong about punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hyun woo Jun: I think your writing skill is very excellent so you should not worry about what others think. I think practice and effort are the most effective ways that will make you become confident.

    ReplyDelete