Friday, September 11, 2015

Jeongsoo Hwang / attitudes toward writing / Tuesday 1pm

Jeongsoo Hwang

 

Attitudes toward writing

There was a time when I dreamed of being a copy writer. I thought a word can change the world. Many people usually think advertisements are for selling product but I think they convey messages about human, cultures, societies, philosophy, psychology, love, hatred and so many things I can imagine or even cannot imagine. Perfect, incredible, wonderful, rewarding and creative job!

Until I realized I didn't have a talent for writing, I had tried to write frequently and thought creative. The most terrible thing was that although I found my words, sentences and writing perfect, few people recognized it, which made me give up my high school dream. Now I sometimes think it was too young for me to decide whether I had a talent or not. The real problem may be my doubt and lack of passion.

 

 

Free writing

What elements should be ready to write something? In my case, it is kind of tricky. First, I should go to Starbucks if there is no Starbucks near, two choices are here. Search for it, or give it up. In other words, I must find Starbucks. After being located, I find the perfect table which allows me to use my laptop or IPad conveniently. Then, I order Ice Americano, grande size, with added shot and hazelnuts syrup. All done. I feel like being Guillaume Musso or Alain de Botton.

I start planning weekly schedules, check the emails and try to remember what I had to do but didn't such as turning off the gas valve. I think of it for a while and feel relieved there will be no accident. The moment my own writing starts, I come up with the idea that the great writers always do research before writing something. To copy the good habit, I connect to the Internet, see what is going on this world and spend some time surfing fluently. After this kind of process, I will start writing. Actually I don't know exactly whether it is happy ever after because I haven't written anything yet but I'm always be ready for writing.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I am Ga Young Lee! I envy you so much :) I think there is no one that has talent in writing if there is no practice, and you have passion and you seem to practice a lot. I always thought that the passion is the most important thing for what we are in to. Also I am really surprised at your free writing. I do not knoe how you could write so well in free writing! You are really good at expressing even the tiny detail. I think the copy writer fits you really well

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 201300729 Eunwoo Kim

    I enjoyed reading her writing. I think her writing is very narrative and descriptive. I could imagine that going into Starbucks with her and trying to find a perfect table. It was good that I could follow what she was thinking because of her descriptive writing.
    Comparing with my own writing, there are too many "I"s in my essay. My sentences are just simple like that, and it makes the draft quite boring. On the other hand, however, Her sentences are more dynamic to read.

    ReplyDelete