Saturday, September 12, 2015

Sieun Kim/ Week2 Assignment_ What Writing Means to Me / Tuesday 1p.m.

 

 

Sieun Kim/ Week2 Assignment_ What Writing Means to Me / Tuesday 1p.m.

 

 

 

When I think of my earliest writing memory, my elementary school days in US come to my mind. I was 10 years old then. I lived in Texas. There, life was boring. Of course, at school, there were many fun activities in classes and I played with my classmates a lot. However, once I came back home from school, there were not many things to do. There were a swimming pool and a garden in my house, but when it gets dark in the evening, I couldn't go outside to play. So I started to write poems. Since I was just a little girl, I did not know what "poem" is exactly, so I wrote a short paragraph about one topic, thinking it is a poem. Time passed really quickly while writing poems. I wrote about my ESL teacher, new friends, textbooks, football players, playground at school and many other topics. I still have the poems I wrote those days. I can feel my feelings and thoughts of my childhood when I read my poems. Through this experience, I realized that writing can help me bring back my precious memories of past days I want to remember. Because of this reason, I keep writing what happened each day in my journal.

 

 

 

However, remembering my valuable days is not the only purpose of my writing. I often write to express my gratitude. I have an experience that I cannot forget about. The story goes like this. I have a grandmother who raised me since I was a little baby. She has taken care of me with love for 15 years. When I became a university student, I thought I should express my gratitude to her by a letter. I wrote about how much I love her, pleasant memories we have had together, and how much I thank her. After reading my letter, she cried. Seeing her cry, I cried. I could feel that she got to know my love toward her via my letter. This is one of my precious experiences I have had with writing.

 

 

 

Like this, writing means a lot to me. I continuously learned writing in my previous schooling. I had to write about three essays each week. The topic I wrote about changed every day. I sometimes wrote about my relationship with my friends, difficulty of studying for a long time, and my future plans. My school teacher always gave feedback to my essays. She encouraged me to write more in detail and also wrote about what she thought about my topic. She considered the content of my papers more than grammar and spelling. I think this kind of evaluation standard allowed me to write in confidence.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is hoyoung.
    Thank you for sharing your precious experience about writing.
    Reading your writing i could recognize different aspects or the writing.
    For me, recently, it is just a kind of assignment which is stressful and difficult.
    This thought always made me feel desperate when I receive it.
    However, you showed a positive and bright side of writing, which would lead me to enjoying the writing. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Bo-won Kim. I'm really impressed that you have written your own poems since you were a kid because I haven't done any writings on my own before. I assume that since you have lots of great writing memories, writing means something to you. Your attitudes toward writing is so different from me and I guess it's because of my lack of writing experiences in my school days. Like you, I will try to have some positive attitudes toward writings and will eventually gain some confidence through this.

    ReplyDelete