Saturday, September 12, 2015

Jeaho Kim / Week 2 Assignment / 1 p.m.

To start off, writing was never my strong point and it still isn't today. When I was still in Canada, writing essays during class especially for exams were my worst nightmare. My vocabulary was very limited, ideas never lit up suddenly like how they appear in cartoons, and I couldn't stand the dead silence in the room hearing only the tapping of pencils or pens on the exam papers. However, the more I experienced and approached writing, the more I felt the mystical attraction it had. As I wrote each and every word, sentence, paragraph, I noticed that these boring, two dimensional letters can actually be brought to life. Writing could convince, influence, and even sympathize with the audience if the author intends to affect the readers that way. That was when I realized that writing isn't so dull and plain. Writing could be like sketches but with enough effort and skill, they could be coloured into beautiful, majestic paintings.

I never wrote for myself. I never thought of writing for myself. I didn't feel the need to write in my own personal time because I thought writing during school was just enough for my daily dosage of calligraphy. However, there were times that maybe writing in a diary wouldn't be as bad. My own definition of a diary is a mirror and a friend, it reflects what I think but also listens to my own achievements and sadness. So maybe starting to write a diary or journal could be on my next to-do list.

I don't have any dramatic future goals related to writing but almost every profession needs writing so I'm pretty sure it would be very helpful to learn ways to improve my advantages and minimize my disadvantages for future uses. So during this semester, I want to observe how I change the way I write and how it can be taken to a different level than now,

2 comments:

  1. i liked the metaphor you used as mirror. it's really good perspective to look the writing. i also hope i could get better after the class(k9d5)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am Ga Young Lee! I also had a same issue when I was in New Zealand so your writing really aroused my sympathy. I also like your expressions about exam. I would have never thought about writing in those expressions!!:)

    ReplyDelete