Saturday, September 12, 2015

Ga Young Lee / 2nd assignment / Narrative composition Tuesday 1pm

My earliest memories related to writing start from New Zealand. When I first went to Intermediate school in New Zealand, I wasn't good at English. I wasn't even able to speak what I wanted to say to my classmates clearly. Then not long after, I had to write scripts for a presentation competition in school. It was among year 7 and 8. I wasn't ready to speak my writing in front of other people. I didn't even know what to write since it was free topic competition. When I finally chose what to write and present about, then I had problems figuring out how to write. Until then, only writing that I have done was writing Journals in Korean. I didn't know what to do so I did a free writing in Korean and translated in to English. The worst part is that I chose a Microsoft office as a topic. It must have made me harder to write. To think about it now, my presentation was really bad. However, the teachers and students in the school gave me applauses and complements. They didn't laugh or mock about me. After this competition, I started to feel confident in writing and learned that the point of writing is to convey my thoughts and opinion, not the skills. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Youjung Kim.
    Microsoft office as a topic doesn't sound that interesting to 7-8 year old kid!!
    I think translating from Korean to English must have been very helpful when you first started English writing. I also agree with your final sentence that conveying thoughts and opinion is the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i am hoyoung.
    I read well your writing. your Korean-English translation experience is so interesting.
    As I am majoring English interpreting and translation, I could sympathize with your difficulty you had long ago. It must have been a huge and difficult work.
    I think you passed through a roug h way and became a good writer, your opinion is crystal clear here.
    Also, one day I want to have a positive experience about writing like you.

    ReplyDelete