Saturday, October 10, 2015

Bo-won Kim/ Chapter3 essay first draft/ Tuesday1pm

Rose outside

 

 "What are you looking at, teacher?"

 "The rose. Outside there. Aren't they beautiful?"

She told me as she opens her red lips carefully. The words from her lips were so fragile that they seemed to break easily when they fall to the ground. The room was quite as the class had finished and almost everyone went out to go home. Though it was quiet, there was the sound of fallen leaves swinging when the wind carries them to somewhere no one knows. There also was sound of footsteps as kids step out the front door leaving bunch of giggles. I was waiting for my friend when she hurried into the rest room, yelling at me to wait for her. I was getting ready to go home and was closing my bag and there was she.

 Everyone liked her. She had a black bob hair that reached around her shoulders. Her white teeth made her red lips even brighter. Every girl in my kindergarten loved her big sparkling eyes with her long black eyelashes which made her eyes even bigger. I especially envied her fair skin. She was the most beautiful adult women I had seen at that time. People loved her not just for her beauty but the way she expresses words and there was unique mood she always had with her. My friends and I always used to say,

 "When I get older, I'm going to be like my teacher!"

 "No, I'm going to be pretty like the teacher!"

Looking over girls talking about her, she just gave us a warm smile. Sometimes, she was lost in her thought. No, actually that was all the time that she was absorbed in her thought. Once, I couldn't sleep during the nap time so I tosses and turned for the first five minutes. Then I glanced at the door and the teacher was looking outside the window.

 "Teacher, teacher. What are you doing?"

I asked her crawling to get closer to her. I was just a seven-year-old girl, curious about everything that's happening around her. She answered the same thing as always.

 "The red rose. Go to sleep, princess."

 "I want to have a look at it, too! I can't sleep, teacher."

 "All right, then. Have a look at it. Come here."

Just like that, it was my first time seeing the red rose that my teacher had always been looking at. I hopped onto the teacher's legs and stared out the window, copying her every move. The red was rose like her lips and was bright like her lips. There was one red rose, bragging about its glamorous pose. It was very flashy but somehow there were prickles on its body.

 "The rose looks so hurt. I feel sad about it. I don't understand why those prickles are hurting her."

 "Those prickles are what make her beautiful, princess."

 "What? No, teacher. Prickles are bad."

I said as I made an evil face at prickles as though they can see my face and let go of beautiful rose. The teacher just smiled at me and stared back at the rose.

 "Teacher, do you want that rose? Do you want me to get it for you? I can go down and just.."

 "No, princess. No. they are beautiful when you are looking at them."

Again, I couldn't understand what she meant. Aren't you supposed to have beautiful things? Not just looking at them? When I looked outside the window again, the wind was blowing. Wind was blowing a little hard that the rose looked as if it was going to be pulled up. But when the wind was defeated by the sunshine, the rose got up and stood in its place as if nothing had happened. I looked at the rose getting up and off the ground and fell asleep. When I woke up, I was with other kids under the warm blanket.

Until now, I don't understand the meaning of her words one hundred percent. But now I'm almost her age, I can get the feeling of it. Prickles are what makes rose more beautiful since rose herself will not stand out. She looks much stronger with all those prickles on her body. I still can't forget the day I heard what rose meant. Rose was just a red, pretty flower with no smell to me but now I can see how beautiful it is. Rose with prickles is beautiful.

 

1 comment:

  1. Sangjee Lee
    1. People loved her not just for her beauty but the way she expresses words and there was unique mood she always had with her.
    2. 1) "When I get older, I'm going to be like my teacher!"
    2) No, actually that was all the time that she was absorbed in her thought
    3) "Those prickles are what make her beautiful, princess."
    3. 1) checked, 2)checked 3) checked
    4. I think you described her very well. I understand clearley what kind of personality she must have had then.
    5. I think your teacher gave you a very strong impression because I can't even remeber the time I was in kindergarten.
    6. the talk you had your teacher about rose was good enough , but still you could add some other story you had with her.

    ReplyDelete