Saturday, October 10, 2015

Sangjee Lee /CH3 Essay 1st draft/Tuesday 1.p.m

I was just a little baby when my grandmother first came to my house to help my mother take care of me. Even though it was years ago, the memory of her always takes a special place in my heart. She was quite petite. Her face was small and had a few wrinkle despite of her age. She had a few deep lines across the corner of her eyes and soft smile lines adored her face.  Her hair was always pulled back into neat bun and she wore plain binyeo, Korean traditional ornamental hairpin. I used to love watching her while she brushed her hair. She said she used to have a thick and luxuriant hair but as time passes, her hair became very thin. Despite what she said, I thought her hair looked gorgeous like silver star. She brushed and brushed and put on camellia oil before making a bun with binyo. I've never seen her wear any make up but she never forgot to do this little ritual even when she did not feel very well. The whole thing looked almost solemn.

 She always the one who woke up earliest. I used to wake up by the sound of her sweeping the front yard.  The outside was still quite dark with the faint light that had a colour of soft grey. I used to run outside to see her, so I was always the second one to wake up earliest. We had two dogs in our front yard and they were already eating the food she gave them. I wanted to play with them, but my grandmother always said "Now, Now, Don't go near the dog while they're eating.  They can bite you and above all you don't want to wake up your mom and dad. They have to go to work and they need some sleep. Why don't you get some more sleep? It is still early." But I always refused to go to sleep and she knew I won't because she always gave me an apple after saying that. I sat on the chair eating apple and watched her finish sweeping the floor. Because of that, I always fell asleep again before lunch and my mother scolded me saying that I have unhealthy sleeping habit.

Every time I woke up in dawn and saw the room filled with blue greyish colour and refreshing air, I felt very calm and peaceful. My grandmother had a face of the dawn. She didn't express her emotion much but made everyone around her peaceful and warm. I never saw her get angry or upset. Also I never saw laugh out loud or get excited. She was a big mountain that didn't budge and I always found myself feel safe and protected around her.

2 comments:

  1. 1. she is like a mountain.
    2. never upset, make the writer feel comfortable, very calm
    3.-(1):checked, has a few wrinkle
    (2):checked, go to sleep
    (3):checked,take care of the writer
    (4):unchecked
    4.
    5.because writher spent a lot of time with her in his childhood
    6.I think the writer already revealed her well

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. She is a calm, diligent woman with a warm heart.
    2. a. "She always the one who woke up earliest. I used to wake up by the sound of her sweeping the front yard."
    b. "She didn't express her emotion much but made everyone around her peaceful and warm."
    c. "She was a big mountain that didn't budge and I always found myself feel safe and protected around her."
    3. a. "She was quite petite. Her face was small and had a few wrinkle despite of her age."
    b. "(...) Why don't you get some more sleep? It is still early.""
    c. She "made everyone around her peaceful and warm."
    4. None.
    5. It seems like you spent a great deal of time with your grandmother during your childhood, so I think you wanted to recall the memory with her since she means a lot to you.
    6. I think you have described your memory with her in detail very well. It was easy for me to picture in my mind as reading your essay.
    - Ha-eun Jeong

    ReplyDelete