Sunday, October 11, 2015

Harim Kim/Chapter 3 First Draft/Tuesday 1pm

I met Yuna Kang last semester, as a newcomer at a press I have been working until now. I still remember the moment when she first walked into the room I was waiting. With the small, brown glasses she always wears, she seemed like the nicest person you could be around. Frankly, I could not feel anything special about her appearance. But like always, first impressions are not good enough to define someone. Her stories were one of the most fascinating ones I have ever heard. Also, I was quite amazed by the upright honesty of the stories and her life. It is her fifth year at HUFS, and those five years are more than spectacular.


We like to meet at a cafe near campus. She is currently the vice student president of our university. At the day I had an interview, she was quite dressed up. I asked her why because I recall her wearing jeans and sweaters everyday because she lives in Il-san, where is two hours away from Imun-dong where the campus is located and she was always busy. But now, as a vice-president, she meets new people everyday. "Dressing formally makes me more confident, I guess." She answered. I understood her. She wants to look responsible and trustworthy at any circumstance. The new dress code is just one of the efforts she is making. Before asking her formal questions I prepared, we chatted awhile. I, as an editor in chief of the magazine she established two years ago, the interview was a great opportunity for me to listen to the bottom of her heart.


She has always been serious about journalism. She always put an emphasis on how reporters should treat writing. So, for me and many other people, it was quite shocking when we heard that she was going to run for the school vice president. She is a natural-born journalist and she is so good at getting data and writing a decent articles with years of experience. I was so curious about the reason she changed her position at school. She laughed and took a  sip of the iced Cafe Latte, and laced her fingers. "Well, it's a long story." And with a nice cup of milk tea, I was ready for a long story. 


Yuna dreamed to be a professional journalist since she was a middle school student. During her term as an editor in chief at the school newspaper, the dream seemed to be not far away for her. But after the forced-resignation, she felt miserable and lost all hope about the power of journalism. She felt that the pen could be mightier than the sword only when representatives with certain power help them. That is the reason that made her run for the school vice president who represents students and has the right of decision for many school affairs. 


"I'd say I'm ambitious because I would really like to empower and support freedom of speech on campus. " She first talked in a strong tone. Her eyes glittered every time she talked about her agenda and dreams. Watching and listening to a person speak with a strong belief gives me chills every time. One afternoon was never going to be enough to understand her. As the conversation continued, I was touched by the bona fide affections she got for the fellow students and also for the community. She is a living example of 'an iron hand in a velvet glove.' She believes that a firm conviction and devotion could change every problem we tackle. Defining Yuna is not an easy task. One thing I am sure is that she is one of the strongest person I have ever met. 

2 comments:

  1. 1. Yuna Kang seems to be an ambitious, hardworking person who has a clear goal for her life and is willing to dedicate herself to it.

    2. She always dresses professionally so she can seem responsible and trustworthy in any circumstances.
    She herself says that she is ambitious because of her goals for this campus.
    Her eyes glitter when she talks about her dream.

    3. The author states what the person looks like ane what she says and what she does. Yuna Kang wears glasses and dresses professionally. She talks about her dreams and the essay states what she does as the university's student vice president.

    4. I understood everything clearly.

    5. I think that the author greatly admires Yuna Kang and therefore chose to write about her.

    6. Why did you interview Yuna Kang? Why did she talk about her dreams?

    Yeo Eun Ki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Youjung Kim.
    I really enjoyed reading this. I think you included many details, which is always good.

    1. Yuna Kang is a responsible and enthusiastic person who take actions with strong beliefs.

    2. First, the fact she is the vice president of our university, and also the editor in chief at the school newspaper shows that she is a responsible person, who is capable of working in such positions.
    Second, the fact that she dreamt of being a journalist since middle school made me think she is very enthusiastic in her passion.
    At last, the direct quotation about the reason why she decided to become a vice president of our school clearly shows that she has strong beliefs and takes actions accordingly.

    3. What the person looks like, what the person says, and what the person does are shown in this writing. What the person looks like is described in the fisrt part of the writing, where it says that she wore glasses and dressed.
    Also, direct quotations show what the person says.
    What the person does is the main focus of this writing.

    4. At first, I did not understand whether the writer was a new comer or 'she' was, but everything else seems clear to me.

    5. The person described in this writng is not someone who you usually see on campus. She seems much more passionate and hard working than most people.

    6. Why did you interview Yuna Kang?

    ReplyDelete