Saturday, October 10, 2015

Yoona Kim / Chapter 3 essay first draft / Tuesday 1pm

My dearest aunt, Soon

 

 She speaks Seoulite like Gyeongsang dialect. When I was born, she took care of me when my mum had to recover from giving birth. After 25 years of time, she still greets me with the warmest hug saying "Oh my dear (baby)girl, Yoona." Now, I am about to graduate the university and prepare for the new chapter in my life. She always encourages me in any circumstances by saying "Everything's gonna be alright." 

 She is skinny, literally skinny. She is thin like a branch. However, she is a pine tree that survived more than 60 years and endured many hardships of life. Unlike her body figure, she always stands still and stays strong. She has some descent wrinkles on her face which show her pain in life and her strength at the same time.

 My mum used to tell me how come aunt Soon took care of me when I was born. Since my mum was the youngest sibling of all, every other aunt could help my mum. Then why is the aunt Soon special? That is because she is the only one who has an experience of becoming an older sister, an aunt, a mum, and finally a grandmother.

 For me, the most vivid memory of her flies back to my middle school days. For a year, I had a chance to live nearby her family. During that time, I was having a hard time with a sudden change of my environment including a new school, new friends, and a new town. At that time, my aunt ran a small snack bar near my new school. After few days, many friends found out that snack bar was my aunt's and started to visit there with me. Every one of them enjoyed the food that my aunt made. Thanks to my aunt's snack bar, I was able to easily get along with friends from the new school. At that time, my aunt was my heroine.

 Whenever she comes to Seoul and visit my home, the place to find her is the 'kitchen'. We always tell her not to be in there and take some rest. She always replies, "I feel comfortable here. I've been working in the kitchens for entire my life. So never mind!" However, we all know the reason why she stays in the kitchen. That is because she is so warmhearted and affectionate to the family that she wants to make us the world's best food.

 Recently, there was a big change to her and our family. My aunt's grandson, Sean, was born. Sean is my cousin and is a significant figure that he is the first child to be born among our siblings. It also means that my aunt Soon is the first person to become a grandmother among her siblings. It surely was a big change that led us to think about the importance of her. For once again we were able to find out how sincere she is to our family. It is not because it was her daughter's pregnancy but because that was what she always has done for our family.

 Her love and support is still going on. Whenever she comes over, I can see my mum being in her most natural state which means she is in a comfortable mood with the aunt Soon. I appreciate to have someone like aunt Soon in my life. She is supportive and inspiring that her words pops up in my mind "Yoona, everything's gonna be alright. I believe in you. Keep doing what you believe is right."

 I think once again, 'I am lucky to have such a person in my life.'

 

 

1 comment:

  1. 1. She is the writer's beloved aunt.
    2. 1) She gives the writer the warmest hug every time they meet.
    2) The writer was able to get along with new friends for the sake of auntie's snack bar.
    3) The writer feels her aunt's love whenever she eats her food.

    3. The writer chose to describe what the person does. She mostly described the warm attitude of her aunt. Especially the way she felt about her aunt.

    4. I understood most part of this essay.

    5. I think the writer chose this person because she loves this person A LOT.

    6. What was the best food that your aunt cooked? :P

    Harim Kim

    ReplyDelete