Monday, October 19, 2015

Sangjee Lee /CH3 Essay Final /Tuesday 1.p.m

My Dear Grandmother

201302361 Sangjee Lee Tuesday 1 p.m.

She always smelled like a clean laundry. It was a soft and cozy smell that whenever you go near her, you get relaxed and want to take a nap. She was quite petite approximately 155cm. Her face, hand, and feet were all petite. She didn't have many wrinkles despite her age. There were few deep lines across the corner of her eyes and soft smile lines adored her face.  Her hair was always pulled back into neat bun and she wore plain binyeo, Korean traditional ornamental hairpin. She brushed her hair first thing in the morning. She said she used to have a thick and luxuriant hair but as time passes, her hair became very thin. Despite what she said, I thought her hair looked gorgeous like silver star. She brushed and brushed before putting on camellia oil, and then made a bun with binyo. She didn't wear any make up but she never forgot to do this little ritual even when she did not feel very well. After she did her hair, she wore soft pink cardigan that has small white flower prints all over it and skirt in pale blue-green. The whole thing looked almost solemn.

 She was always the one who woke up the earliest. I used to wake up by the sound of her sweeping a front yard.  The outside was still quite dark with the faint light that had a colour of soft grey. She patted the dogs and fed them early in the morning .Our two dogs loved her the most and followed her everywhere. Every time I try to play with them in the morning, my grandmother used to say, "Now, now, don't go near the dogs while they're eating. They can bite you .Above all, you don't want to wake up your mom and dad. They have to go to work and they need some sleep. Why don't you get some more sleep? It is still early." But I always refused to go to sleep and she knew I wouldn't, because she always gave me an apple after saying that. I sat on the chair eating apple and watched her while she finish sweeping the floor.

One time my mother got so angry that I did something that she told me not to do numerous times. Looking at her face, I was so scared that I did the one thing I thought was the most effective way to avoid punishment from my mother: hiding behind grandmother. Through lot of experience, I got to know that my mother seems to give up punishing me every time I hide behind my grandmother. Grandmother smiled softly and hid me behind her long skirt. Then she said, "I think she already learned her lesson. She won't do it next time, right?' while I nodded furiously. My mother sighed deeply and stopped being angry with me. I thought my grandmother had magical power.

Every time I woke up at dawn and saw the room filled with blue greyish colour and refreshing air, I think about my grandmother. She had a face of the dawn. She didn't express her emotion much but made everyone around her peaceful and warm. I never saw her get angry or upset. Also I never saw her laugh out loud or get excited. Memory of my grandmother always takes a special place in my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment