Friday, October 9, 2015

Yeonjae Hwang/Task 3.2/Tuesday 1pm

 

To observe uncertain majorities, I went to 'café bene' which is located nearby my house. As I had a great purpose to silently observe them without letting them know, I sat at a position that was facing another table. The seat was unoccupied, yet soon after a man and a woman came to sit there. They first placed put down their bags and belongings on the chair, then the man went to the counter to order coffees. Meanwhile, I tried to carefully observe the women but I instantly failed as I she looked at me and we made an eye contact. I did not give up because I had to do my assignment. After when men came back with two coffees, one hot Americano and another cold Americano, I realized that the couple's preferences were different. First to describe the men, he was tall with an average body size of regular men. He wore a striped knit with jeans, and his facial expression seemed very serious. In fact, he was working on his laptop and was doing something that was expected to be an important task. So he kept silent and solely focused on his work. While the man was working personally, the woman pulled out a book inside her bag and started to read it for about five minutes. Then I guess she had something to look up for, so she pulled out her ipad. She wore a white cardigan with black pants. Also, she had her hair up in a ponytail. She also looked serious and I could tell that she was really into her work. The couple was each doing their work, so there was merely a conversation between them. I think the reason they came here was to do their assignment. Making no interactions with each other was not unusual as there are lots of people doing the same, however the one thing I found unusual in particular was that they were not drinking their coffees. I watched them for 15 minutes straight and until then they still did not even touch their coffees. Later, I wanted to hear them talking with each other but I could continuously see their mouth closed. At that time I was listening to the music through my earphone and I unplugged it quickly to listen to their conversation because I finally saw them moving their lips. I heard what they were saying, and it went like this. "Do you want to change seat? There is an empty table behind us. The woman sitting there went out" said the woman. And the man replied, "Sure that seat looks more comfortable". Eventually, they left where they were originally sitting and at the same time they disappear out of my sight.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment