Saturday, October 10, 2015

Yeo Eun Ki Chapter 3 essay 1st draft/Tuesday 1 p.m.

We talk over occasional long texts, my friend and I. She's attending a small, private college in Louisiana and I'm a student at HUFS. We haven't seen each other in three years. There hasn't been an exchange of selfies to remind each other what we look like. What I remember distinctly is that she had bright hazel eyes that intensely stared into mine, and freckles scattered across her pale face. Her expression was usully impassive, or unexpressive. I could never really tell what she was thinking until she flashed a smile or directly told me how she felt. We haven't actually talked to each other in a long time, yet her texts still get me excited. And I can still hear her dry, witty tone in my head as I read each message she sends me. While I ramble on in my messages about the woes of an English major and keep her informed about everything from my unsuccessful relationship attempts to Korean culture, her messages are parallel to her personality; blunt, straightforward, and lacking in great detail. She'll tell me vaguely about the engineering project she finished last month or how she spent the weekend "watching Netflix and doing homework" and leave it at that. Uninterested in dating, she calls the boys in her classes idiots and changes the subject back to the latest season of Doctor Who. She is the only person I know who will tell me she is going to bed early so could she please text tomorrow? I'll ask her three questions and I'll be lucky if she remembers to reply to one.
  My friend Rebekah, or Bekah as I like to affectionately call her, and I share very few personality traits. She is cool, logical, and objective. I can be sensitive and moody. She's working hard on her chemical engineering degree while I read Forster and Fitzgerald. Somehow, with our shared love for books and sarcasm, we make our friendship work. She tells me she enjoys my long ramblings me because she can see me in my writing and I never get offended by her short and somewhat distant replies because I know that's how she is. But she always cheers me up with an encouraging text when I tell her about a disastrous class presentation, and is always ready with a sound and clear advice when I need one.
  Though I don't know when I'll see my friend again, our frequent messages to each other keep us in touch. And I can only hope our connection stays strong for a long long time.

3 comments:

  1. Sangjee Lee
    1. She is cool, logical, and objective.
    2. 1) Her expression was usully impassive, or unexpressive. I could never really tell what she was thinking until she flashed a smile or directly told me how she felt.
    2) I can still hear her dry, witty tone in my head as I read each message she sends me.
    3) She is the only person I know who will tell me she is going to bed early so could she please text tomorrow?
    3. 1) checked, 2)checked 3) unchecked
    4. I think you described your friend's personality quite well. However in most of your sentence, I see plain description majorly. I think it will be better if you use little more metaphor to decribe your friend.
    5. Eventhough you too didn't spend much time together, there always was a special connection between you two. I think that is the main reason why she became very special to you.
    6. A little more detailed description of any incidents that happened between you two would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Dohoon.
    1. I would say your friend is "cool, logical, and objective."
    2. 1)Her expression was usully impassive, or unexpressive, 2) her messages are parallel to her personality; blunt, straightforward, and lacking in great detail, Uninterested in dating, 3) she calls the boys in her classes idiots and changes the subject back to the latest season of Doctor Who.
    3. 1)
    4. There was nothing that I did not understand in the essay.
    5. I think she chose to describe Rebekah to describe their relationship even though they have a completely different personality.
    6. How did the writer and Rebekah meet the first time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Dohoon.
    1. I would say your friend is "cool, logical, and objective."
    2. 1)Her expression was usully impassive, or unexpressive, 2) her messages are parallel to her personality; blunt, straightforward, and lacking in great detail, Uninterested in dating, 3) she calls the boys in her classes idiots and changes the subject back to the latest season of Doctor Who.
    3. 1) She's working hard on her chemical engineering degree while I read Forster and Fitzgerald.
    4. There was nothing that I did not understand in the essay.
    5. I think she chose to describe Rebekah to describe their relationship even though they have a completely different personality.
    6. How did the writer and Rebekah meet the first time?

    ReplyDelete